This upcoming week, I will be closing out the summer portion of my internship with National Instruments. Which also means I finally have time to start working on a project that I’ve been planning since this past spring. On September 16, I will turn 21. The 21st birthday is often associated with a night that one will forget because after all, you only turn 21 once.
Instead of simply hunting down free beverages downtown, I wanted to do something to give back to the community. By my 21st birthday, I want to raise $2100 for Cancer Support Community of Central Texas. The amount sounds like a lot, so my initial goal will be $1000. To be honest, if I reach that initial goal, I will be incredibly happy with the outcome, but if I reach my ultimate goal, that would be even more exciting.
So why did I choose CSCCT of all the non-profits? For one, it’s a local chapter located in Austin and cancer is definitely an issue that has an impact on a large amount of not only the local population, but across various communities.
CSCCT’s mission is to ensure that all people impacted by cancer are empowered by knowledge, strengthened by action, and sustained by community. With the support of the community and dedicated professionals in the area, CSCCT aims to develop free support groups, educational programs, mind-body well and stress management classes, and networking opportunities available to all who need them by:
- Securing a safe, home-like facility with between 6,000 and 7,500 square feet to provide a healing environment—away from medical settings—where those impacted by cancer will find a refuge from the stress of dealing with serious illness.
- Raising $500,000 in order to meet and exceed the $250,000 opening requirement set by the national Cancer Support Community organization by attracting individuals, foundations, and corporations. *To date, we have raised over $150,000.
- Offering initial public programs and services for people affected by cancer before the end of 2013.
- Maintaining a high level of annual funding to sustain the success of Cancer Support Community Central Texas.
- Involving as many community partners as possible to in the development of Cancer Support Community Central Texas.
I’m currently drafting emails and meeting with a few people to organize corporate donations, but a small donation from my friends and family would be incredibly appreciated.
Thank you 🙂